MARCH 13, 2020
BUILDING BLOCKS THERAPY CORONAVIRUS UPDATE:
As we continue to monitor developments around the world, we want to provide you with an update about the coronavirus outbreak and the status of our therapy services. Our priority is always the safety of our families and staff and maintaining clear and transparent lines of communication. As of Friday March 13, 2020 all area schools have announced proactive closures for 2-3 weeks. We respect their willingness to follow the guidelines to reduce events resulting in more than 250 people. AT THIS POINT, FUNdamentals and Building Blocks Therapy offices will remain open. This status may change as the situation is fluid and we may be mandated to close at some point. Your individual therapist may also have changes to her individual schedule at this time.
IN THE CASE OF A MANDATED CLOSURE, we are open to the possibility of telepractice. We will follow the regulations set forth by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA), and our licensing boards in DC and VA to ensure telepractice is conducted in a manner that is secure and appropriate for your child’s needs. We will continue to keep you updated on the platform we will use for telepractice sessions.
Please note, therapy times may not be the same as your regular times and we ask for your patience and flexibility in this new, temporary situation. Session times will most likely be reduced to 30-45 minutes with pricing reflected to match those times. Your therapist will discuss scheduling with you if/when necessary.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A TELEPRACTICE SESSION NOW, please let your therapist and the Director, Kirsten Metzger Gilbert, know of your intent. We hope to have this up and running mid-week. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please see below for our current practices
WHAT THE OFFICE IS DOING:
- Continuing with regular disinfecting protocol of washing/sanitizing hands and wiping tables/chairs in between clients
- Increased (daily) wiping of “commonly touched services” such as, waiting room chairs and tables, door handles, phones, computers
- Removal of waiting room toys
- Spreading out sessions during day to reduce waiting room gatherings
- Halting all oral motor therapy to avoid unnecessary close face to face interaction
- Posted sign outside office asking anyone with flu/cold/illness symptoms to not enter
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer upon entering the office
- Use our “dirty toy bin” for any toy that may have been in a child’s mouth (despite our removal of waiting room toys, they sometimes creep back!)
- Be mindful of your and your child’s health (siblings too!) and please don’t bring sick children into the office.
- Use your elbow to cover your cough and throw away any used tissues.
Thank you for your patience and willingness to work with us to keep us all healthy in this challenging time,
Kirsten Metzger Gilbert, Director