The goal of this program is to provide 3-4 children ages 12-14 years with an opportunity to prepare for a 1 week job at our camp. The program will consist of a 4-5 week group both at our office and off site at our camp location. This group will begin mid-May on Thursday afternoons. It will culminate in each child working a 2 hour shift for 4 days at our summer camp.
The group portion will involve:
• Getting to know each child’s strengths and weaknesses
• Review/Practice of current chores/jobs at home, including strategies used
• Introduction and practice of the jobs to be performed at camp
• Personal and peer review for strategy implementation/job performance
• Off site practice of jobs (at Westover Baptist; the summer camp location)
The work portion will involve:
• 1 week of working at our summer camp between 11:30-1:30.
• Camp tasks may include: lunch set up/clean up; activity prep; transition assistance
• A job “review” at the end of the week to provide feedback.
Why this is important:
Many of the children we see with varying skill levels are capable of holding down a job when they are age appropriate. However, these same children may need different strategies, such as visual aids, advanced preparation, check lists, etc. to assist them with their performance. We are hoping to reach these kids at an early age, in order to learn their strengths and weaknesses and teach them the tools to carry out their required work.
A couple of years ago we had the opportunity to have a former client work at our camp for 3 weeks. After that experience, we realized the need for more preparation prior to camp in order to create a more positive experience overall. We look forward to expanding on that with our new “Bridging” program. We believe getting to know the kids in advance in order to determine each individual’s strengths and accommodation needs is necessary for a more successful work environment. The kids will benefit from the pre-planning, strategy implementation, and on-site practice.
Interested parties must be able to attend all the group sessions and commit to 1 week (Mon-Thurs) between July 5-July 28 during the hours of 11:30-1:30.
Please contact Melissa Mimidis at Melissam@buildingblockstherapy.com for further information and to set up a consultation.